Betsy Dorton, Grants Coordinator
P.O. Box 11280
Columbia, SC 29211
The South Carolina Department of Agriculture (SCDA) administers numerous federal grants and cooperative agreements internally through the initiatives of its various departments. Many inquiries are received by the SCDA Grants Administration office from individual farmers, growers, and producers looking for ways to fund their farm needs. Please keep in mind that government grants typically fund projects and research, not people or small businesses (including farms). Simply stated, State and Federal agricultural grants are not for individuals looking to begin, save, maintain or expand a farm business. Federal grants are paid for by taxpayers, so there are very strict eligibility, application, selection and reporting requirements. Generally, an entity must be an IRS-designated-non-profit 501(c)3, cooperative, commission, university, or unit of local government to qualify for a federal/state grant. People and/or private businesses very rarely qualify for these grants.
That said, this page includes some resources that may be helpful in your search for assistance. The information included here is not all-inclusive, but provides a starting point for agriculture-related grant/loan research. As you study the opportunities provided here, remember to pay close attention to eligibility guidelines before applying for a grant or loan.
Begin here if you are Starting or Expanding a Farm.
Funding Available from SCDA
The following reimbursement programs are available to individual farmers/growers/producers through sub-awards from a grant or cooperative agreement between SCDA and USDA. Each has a specific amount of money available and has a definite end date. Pay special attention to this information. Click on the name of the program to learn more.
- Specialty Crop Block Grant
- Cold Storage Cost Share Application
- GAP Certification Reimbursement
- Organic Certification Cost Share Program – Please contact your county FSA office for reimbursement.
- NEW! Agribusiness Development Grants
Funding Available from USDA
Agricultural Marketing Service
- AMS Grant & Opportunities Fact Sheet
- Specialty Crop Block Grant Program
- Federal State Marketing Improvement Program (FSMIP)
- Farmers Market Promotion Program (FMPP)
- Local Food Promotion Program (LFPP)
National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP)
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
- Community Food Project Competitive Grants Program
- Search More NIFA Grants
Food and Nutrition Service
Funding Available from Other Organizations
Remember, very few grants, whether by a private foundation or the federal government, provide funding directly to individuals. However, if you are representing a non-profit organization, the South Carolina State Library offers free assistance with searching for private foundational grants as well as for writing grant proposals. Visit SC State Library Grants Research Assistance to learn more.
SCDA does not have any additional information regarding the following grants, which are provided simply as a resource. It is up to you to research eligibility, deadlines, and application requirements.
- Clif Bar Family Foundation Small Grants
- Tree Initiative Grant from Columbia Green
- Neighborhood Grants from Columbia Green
- Learn to Farm Mini Grants for Teachers from SC Farm Bureau
- Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools Grant
- Professional Dairy Producers Foundation Grant
- Fruit Tree Orchard Grant
- Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education (SARE) Grants – Call for Proposals
In the News…
GrowFood Carolina: Carolina on My Mind