The South Carolina Watermelon Association is a farmer and agricultural industry led organization whose main purpose is to increase consumer awareness and consumption of watermelon while creating a positive economic impact for producers.
The Association works to increase consumer demand for watermelon through promotion and also focuses on research and legislation affecting growers and related businesses in the watermelon industry.
Consisting of twenty-six board members with one research scientist serving as an adviser, the South Carolina Watermelon Association is heavily involved in supermarket promotions and promoting watermelon at events such as festivals, summer camps, welcome centers, schools and fundraisers. Be sure to check out our promotional efforts from in-store taste samplings at retail to watermelon cuttings at special events and festivals statewide. You may even want to schedule time to attend the events and participate in sampling our fun fruit.
Working closely with the retail market, the South Carolina Watermelon Association supports watermelon advertising and promotion in their stores during the season.
In addition to promotion, the Association selects and supports several different research projects each year and keeps up with today’s technology and the ever-changing world of agriculture to ensure that our farmers are able to compete in the marketplace.
Also, the South Carolina Watermelon Association serves as the voice in Washington for South Carolina watermelon farmers and monitors legislation that touches the produce industry.
For more information about the promotion, research and legislative activities of the South Carolina Watermelon Association, scroll down.
For more information about the watermelon industry, visit the
National Watermelon Association.
To become a member, please download this form.
The SC Watermelon Association and the SCDA this fall distributed watermelons at preseason football practices at the University of South Carolina, Clemson University and The Citadel. The groups also plan to hand out watermelon at the Cooper River Bridge Run, although [Matt] Cornwell says organizers are still strategizing exactly how “to provide that much watermelon to that many runners.” For this year’s Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C., the National Watermelon Promotion Board fabricated 48,000 five-ounce serving containers.
The full story in The Post and Courier by Hanna Raskin…
Watermelon growers bring fruit to the football field.
Kyle Tisdale is SCDA Marketing Specialist and Executive Director of the SC Watermelon Association.
SC Watermelon Queen Promotion
The South Carolina Watermelon Queen Program is all about increasing sales for South Carolina watermelon. The South Carolina Watermelon Queen competition takes place in conjunction with the annual South Carolina Watermelon Association’s annual conference in Columbia, SC.
She spends the year traveling to communities throughout the state, talking to people in supermarkets, festivals, and other special events telling everyone about the nutritional benefits and economical values of watermelon.
The South Carolina Watermelon Queen is available for media appearances, in-store promotions, festivals or functions where watermelon is featured.
For more information about the South Carolina Watermelon Queen or to schedule an appearance, contact Ann Bryant.
The SC Watermelon Queen’s typical yearly schedule includes appearances at the following places:
- Georgia Watermelon Association Convention, Sea Island, GA
- Illiana Watermelon Association Convention, French Lick, IN
- North Carolina Watermelon Association Convention, Wrightsville Beach, NC
- Commissioner’s Cup BBQ Cookoff, Columbia, SC
- Queen Training, Raleigh, NC
- Cooper River Bridge Run, Charleston, SC
- Taste of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- Taste of Beaufort 4K Run, Beaufort, SC
- Taste of Pinellas, St. Petersburg, FL
- All Children’s Hospital, St. Petersburg, FL
- Moffitt Cancer Center, St. Petersburg, FL
- Bookman Elementary School, Elgin, SC
- Your Carolina, “WSPA-TV”, Greenville, SC
- “WYFF-TV”, News Channel 4, Greenville, SC
- Monarch Elementary School, Greenville, SC
- “WLTX-TV”, Columbia, SC
- The Peggy Denny Show, “WGGS-TV”, Greenville, SC
- Making It Grown, “SCE-TV”, Sumter, SC
- Hampton Watermelon Festival, Hampton, SC
- SC Farmers Market, Columbia, SC
- River Dogs Baseball, Charleston, SC
- Low Country Live, “WCIV-TV”, Charleston, SC
- Blackville Field Day, Blackville, SC
- Pageland Watermelon Festival, Pageland, SC
- Clemson Tiger Football, Clemson, SC
- USC Gamecock Football, Columbia, SC
- Citadel Bulldogs Football, Charleston, SC
- Presbyterian Blue Hose Football, Clinton, SC
- Dance American Boot Camp, Greenville, SC
- Schutzenfest Festival, Ehrhardt, SC
- United Fresh/Legislative Visits, Washington, DC
- SC State Fair, Columbia, SC
- Marine Marathon, Washington, DC