Collection Date Set for Unwanted Pesticides
South Carolina Department of Agriculture
Hugh Weathers, Commissioner
Meredith Atkinson, 803-734-2196, firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – September 8, 2014
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The South Carolina Department of Agriculture (SCDA) is partnering with York County Solid Waste Collection and Recycling Division to accept unwanted or unused pesticides from farmers and homeowners at no charge.
York County is holding its bi-annual Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Event at the York County Public Works Facility. Although most of the recycling event is only open to residents of York County, waste pesticides will be accepted from residents of any SC county. Pesticides will not be accepted from any type of commercial business or commercial applicator. Other collection events are planned for later this year and will be open to commercial applicators in the state.
- Hours of operation will be 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. on October 4, 2014.
- Location: York County Public Works(Off HWY 5), 220 Public Works Road, York, SC 29745
- SCDA will have personnel on site to monitor pesticide collection.
- Quantities accepted will be limited to 2500 pounds of solid waste and 300 gallons of liquid at no charge.
- No fertilizer (unless it is combined with a pesticide such as weed and feed), compressed gas cylinders (metal cylinder with a valve) or empty containers will be collected in the pesticide location of the event.
- SCDA has final authority to make the decision on whether or not to take waste from participants once the vendor decides whether or not staff can properly dispose of product.
- Pesticide products include herbicides, insecticides, nematicides, fungicides and other similar products used in agricultural production or around the home.
For more information regarding pesticide collection, contact SCDA’s John Stokes at 803.737.9696. For more information on York HHW Collection event, contact York County Solid Waste Collection and Recycling Division at 803.628.3181.