Angie Culler-Matthews, Food Safety Director

123 Ballard Court
West Columbia, SC 29172


Food Safety & Compliance ensures that foods are manufactured, stored, distributed, and marketed under safe and sanitary conditions through routine surveillance inspections. Inspectors ensure that food is pure and wholesome, safe to eat, and properly labeled according to food safety laws and regulations. The department regulates foods manufactured for wholesale distribution. The term “Wholesale” means to sell something to another individual, company, or store (i.e. grocery store, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.), for the purpose of resale (serve or sell to final consumer).

Click here for Retail Food Safety (e.g. restaurant inspections) or Home-Based Foods.

Selling Food Products

Registration is required for persons or establishments wishing to manufacture, prepare, repack, or sell most foods wholesale to other businesses. The term “Wholesale” means to sell something to another individual, company, or store (i.e. grocery store, convenience stores, restaurants, etc.), for the purpose of resale (serve or sell to final consumer). A Registration Verification Certificate (RVC) must be obtained from SCDA prior to selling food products wholesale. To do so, registration and use an approved and inspected facility is required. A domestic kitchen is NOT an acceptable facility. Specialized training and product testing may be required for some products and the registration process includes review of food product labeling. Registration certificates (permits) are issued upon completion of a compliant food safety inspection by SCDA.

For more information, contact

Product Labeling

Product Labeling must be in accordance with the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) and the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act (FPLA). Product labels must be submitted to SCDA to review for compliance with both laws. For general labeling assistance, refer to the Labeling Guidance.


Honey produced in South Carolina and sold to the public must be properly labeled in accordance with the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act. Honey sold to convenience stores, health food stores, etc., must come from a registered and approved source. Honey house requirements include cleanable walls and floors, approved water sources, shatterproof lighting, clean utensils and equipment, sinks, proper drainage, SC Department of Environmental Services (SCDES) approved septic or sewer system. See the Food Processing Establishment Guide.

View the Honey Sales Quick Guide for more information on how to legally sell honey.

If you ONLY sell your honey directly to the end consumer (ie. farmers markets and other direct-to-consumer markets) and produce no more than 400 gallons (4,800 lbs.), you can apply for exemption from registration and inspection.

Note: Honey sold to the public must be labeled properly, even if you apply for an exemption.

Apply for a Honey Exemption or View Honey Labeling Requirements

If you do not qualify for the SC Honey Exemption, you will need register with SCDA and use an approved honey house.

View the Honey Sales Comparison chart

You may use a registered honey house that is currently being inspected by SCDA; however, you must submit a Shared Honey House Application along with your RVC application.


Eggs sold at a location other than a grower’s residence or farm must be washed, graded, sized, properly labeled and kept refrigerated at or below 45° F. Grading information can be found in the USDA’s Egg Grading Manual.

Only new or unused cartons can be used to package egg. Cartons cannot bear another producer’s or distributor’s information. The producer must obtain an egg license issued by SCDA. Unlabeled, ungraded or unsized eggs or eggs off refrigeration are considered adulterated and will be removed from public sale. Selling eggs in those categories or selling without an SCDA Egg License are considered misdemeanors and both carry fines.

Fish and Seafood

Fish and Seafood, whole and unprocessed, are under the jurisdiction of the SC Department of Natural Resources (DNR).  If you want to buy and resell fish and seafood, whether whole and unprocessed or cleaned (skinned, scaled, debone, viscerate, dehead, devein, etc) and processed, you will need a commercial fishing license or wholesale permit (RVC). If you do not have a commercial fishing license, then you must have a wholesale permit (RVC) and buy from a licensed commercial fisherman or wholesaler. Regardless of the permit you possess, you must do the following:

  • Keep receipts and invoices on hand at all times (including at the point of sale).
  • Keep fish and seafood refrigerated at 45° F or below or properly iced at all times.

In order to clean and process fish and seafood, you must:

  • Register with SCDA
  • Operate out of an approved and inspected facility
  • Be subject to the state and federal food safety regulations including completing Seafood HACCP Training.


Salvage operations dealing in foods and cosmetics must be permitted by SCDA, according to the South Carolina Food and Cosmetic Act. Permits expire June 30 of each year.

Other Food Products that do not fall in the above categories:

  • If your product is sold retail only, call SCDA Retail Food Safety & Compliance at 803-896-0640.
  • If your product contains more than 3% raw or 2% cooked beef, pork, chicken, or lamb, call SC Meat & Poultry at 803-788-8747.
  • If your product is a Grade A Milk product, call SCDA Milk Safety and Compliance at 803-896-0523
  • If your product is a Molluscan Shellfish product only, call the South Carolina Department of Environmental Services at 843-238-4378.
  • If your product is an alcoholic product, call ATF at 1-800-398-2282 or the SC Department of Revenue at 844-898-8542.

Helpful links for food safety, processing & packaging: