1. I want to start making dog treats and selling them on social media and at local farmer’s markets. What do I need to do to be compliant with SC rules and regulations?

The SC Commercial Feed Act can be found here. SCDA requires the product(s) to be registered, registration information can be found on the Feed Safety Compliance page. You may also look under the heading: Think of starting your own pet food/treat business?, on the Feed Safety Compliance page to find a link to more information about what can and cannot be used in pet food/treats. Be aware that although it is acceptable to make pet food or treats in your home kitchen, SCDA Feed Control Officials may want to conduct an inspection of your practices in your home. Additionally, in the event that SCDA received a complaint about your products from a consumer, you may be subject to a complaint follow-up and inspection.

2. My pet became sick after eating the pet food/feed I purchased. What can I do to bring this to the attention of SCDA?

SCDA records complaints for animal feed and pet food. You may call the SCDA Consumer Protection Division Main Switchboard at 803-737-9700 and explain that you would like to file a complaint about an animal feed or pet food and your message will be forwarded to the AFRPS Coordinator. The sample may need to be tested for analytes that cannot be tested by the SCDA Food/Feed Lab. You may need to send your sample to another lab with the capability. The AFRPS Coordinator will be able to give you information for contacting another lab. More information about complaints can be found on the Feed Safety Compliance Page.