1. My friends tell me that my barbecue sauce or other bottled product is really good and that I should start selling it to the public. What are the requirements to sell my barbecue sauce or other bottled/jarred product to the public?

Anyone wishing to sell their products to or at roadside markets, convenience stores, grocery stores, or other businesses would be considered a wholesaler. To wholesale a product, it must be produced in an SCDA approved facility. A home or domestic kitchen is not acceptable.  You will need to have the bottled/jarred/canned product analyzed by a FDA recognized processing authority. Most people use Clemson University’s Food2Market in our state. Depending on the classification of the product, you may also be required to complete an FDA recognized Better Process Control School. You will also be required to register with SC Department of Agriculture Food Safety, have your retail labels reviewed and be inspected on a routine basis. Our Food Processing Establishment Guide can help you get started. You will need to apply for an RVC and your manufacturing facility will be inspected on a routine basis.

2. My backyard chickens are producing more eggs than my family can consume. What do I need to do in order to sell the extra eggs?

Eggs can be sold from the farm or place where they’re gathered without any further regulation. Eggs sold to other businesses or at locations other than where they’re produced, must be washed, graded, sized and properly labeled. For more information refer to the Egg License Guide. You will need to apply for an Egg License from the SC Department of Agriculture.

3. I have a few bee hives and would like to start selling the honey?

Beekeepers who produce no more than 400 gallons (4,800 lbs.) and wish to sell their honey directly to the end consumer can apply for an exemption from registration and inspection. Beekeepers wishing to sell their honey to or at roadside markets, convenience stores, grocery stores, restaurants, or other businesses will need to apply for a Registration Verification Certificate with SCDA and have their honey house inspected and approved by SCDA. All honey sold to the public must be properly labeled.

4. My family raises rabbits. We would like to begin processing the rabbits and selling the meat to the public. What are the requirements?

The rabbits must be farm-raised and processed in an SCDA approved facility (see Food Processing Establishment Guide). You will need to apply for an RVC. The meat must be properly labeled and your operation will be inspected on a routine basis for food safety.

5. I make raw juices and would like to sell them to the public. What are the requirements?

Raw juices cannot be sold wholesale to other businesses. You will need to contact SC DHEC at 803-896-0640 in order to sell your juices retail.

6. I’d like to sell my elderberry syrup to other businesses. What do I need to consider?

SCDA is aware of the growing interest in making and selling elderberry syrup. Elderberry syrup is unique because it can be sold retail or wholesale, classified as a food or dietary supplement, and prepared as a shelf-stable or a refrigerated food. Clemson Extension has an excellent resource that describes the requirements for making and selling elderberry syrup and products to the public.

7. I would like to make food products with CBD oil such as candies, baked goods, coffee or infused honey. What do I need to know? Is this allowed?

SCDA under the authority of the South Carolina Food and Cosmetic Act, does not allow food or drink to which THC or CBD has been added to be manufactured in South Carolina. If you would like more information about approved hemp food ingredients please refer to our Hemp Products in Human Food Guide.